Selfmade rhubarb crumble pie is the right summer season dessert!
A flaky do-it-yourself pie crust is full of a sweet-tart rhubarb filling and topped with a scrumptious streusel topping.
Similar to Grandma’s, it’s extremely straightforward to make. This scrumptious pie is greatest served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
A Excellent Summer time Pie
Rhubarb is a brilliant tart and bitter perennial plant that grows in gardens throughout. When combined with sugar, the stalk takes on a singular taste all its personal! Rhubarb goes completely in pies, crisp, or muffins.
- Fruit pies are a summer season staple, and this one is straightforward to make.
- If you happen to’ve received rhubarb, you’ll want only a few pantry substances to drag this recipe collectively.
- This rhubarb crumble pie has a candy tangy filling topped with a crisp crumble for an ideal dessert.
- Flip this right into a strawberry rhubarb pie by swapping out among the rhubarb for strawberry (or some other fruit of your selection!).
Components & Variations
- Single Pie Crust: A flaky and buttery pastry base is the bottom of this pie. Use a pre-made pie crust or whip up a flaky homemade pie crust.
- Rhubarb: The star ingredient that provides the pie its tangy taste. Use recent or frozen rhubarb. Thaw and drain extra liquid from frozen rhubarb to keep away from a soggy crust.
- Flour: I exploit flour as a thickener. It helps give the pie simply the fitting consistency.
- Sugar: Sweetens the pie and balances the tartness of the rhubarb.
- Lemon Zest (Optionally available): For an additional burst of citrusy taste, lemon zest might be added to the rhubarb filling. It enhances the tartness of the rhubarb and provides a refreshing observe.
Find out how to Put together Rhubarb for Pie
Prepping rhubarb for pie is straightforward.
- When pulling rhubarb from the plant, be sure you pull it (and to not reduce it) to encourage extra development.
- Take away the massive leaves and discard them, they’re poisonous to eat.
- Wash the rhubarb stalks and chop it into 1/4 inch items (a little bit thicker in case your rhubarb stems are skinny), simply as you’ll chop celery.
No have to boil or prepare dinner the rhubarb earlier than making the filling, although! The sugar will assist break it down through the baking course of!
Find out how to Make Rhubarb Crumble Pie
- Put together your favourite pie dough recipe. Add a little bit sprinkle of sugar and flour to maintain the crust from getting soggy.
- Toss rhubarb with sugar and flour (per recipe beneath) and add it to the crust.
- Prep the crumble topping and sprinkle over the rhubarb. Bake in preheated oven till golden brown and bubbly.
- Need it extra tart? Add much less sugar however don’t skimp on the flour, it helps the pie set.
- For softer rhubarb, reduce it smaller. Prefer it firmer? Reduce it thicker.
- Add a pinch of ginger for a brand new taste.
- Place the pie pan on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet to catch something that bubbles over.
- Permit the pie to chill to set. If it doesn’t set it will likely be runny. As soon as set, the pie might be warmed barely earlier than serving in the event you’d like.
Retailer it within the fridge tightly lined with plastic wrap. Higher but, if in case you have a glass pie pan with a lid, it’s really easy to bake and retailer the pie multi functional dish!
Did your loved ones love this Rhubarb Crumble Pie? You’ll want to go away a score and a remark beneath!
Rhubarb Crumble Pie
This do-it-yourself rhubarb crumble pie is the right summer season dessert.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Line a pie plate with a single pie crust and crimp the sides. In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle on the underside of the crust.
In a big bowl, mix the chopped rhubarb, ⅔ cup of sugar, remaining flour, and non-compulsory lemon zest. Gently stir till nicely mixed and pour into the pie crust.
To make the crumble topping, in a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, white sugar, and floor cinnamon. Reduce within the chilly butter utilizing a pastry cutter or fork till the combination resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the rhubarb fillling.
Place the pie on the underside rack of the oven and bake for quarter-hour.
Scale back the oven temperature to 350°F and proceed baking for an extra 45 minutes or till filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
Cool fully earlier than serving.
If utilizing frozen rhubarb, be sure to measure the required quantity after it has been defrosted and drained to keep away from extra moisture.
Freeze earlier than baking. To bake from frozen, place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 425°F and bake for 25 minutes. Then, lower the warmth to 375°F and bake for an extra 35-45 minutes till heated via. If the highest browns an excessive amount of, loosely cowl with foil.
Energy: 333 | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 14g | Saturated Fats: 7g | Ldl cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 314IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1mg
Vitamin info supplied is an estimate and can fluctuate based mostly on cooking strategies and types of substances used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.