That is the one lemon meringue pie recipe you’ll ever want!
A buttery home made pie crust is crammed with sweet-tart lemon curd, and all topped off with a fluffy toasted meringue.
It takes a bit of time, however this pie is a masterpiece and comparatively straightforward to make!
Substances for Lemon Meringue Pie
- Crust: This pastry makes use of chilly butter for excellent taste and a flaky pie crust. In fact, pre-made or frozen pie crusts or graham-cracker crusts can be utilized if time is brief!
- Sugar: Sweetens every layer of the pie, from the crust to the meringue topping.
- Butter: Provides a clean end to the lemon filling.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the lemon filling and helps hold the meringue from weeping.
- Eggs: Separated into yolks for the filling and whites for the meringue, they add richness and construction.
- Lemon juice and zest: Present a shiny, tangy taste to the filling, making the pie zesty and refreshing.
- Vanilla extract: Provides a touch of sweetness and depth to the meringue.
A few tricks to juice and zest a lemon:
Zest – The important thing to zesting is to take away solely the yellow a part of the lemon pores and skin, because the white pith beneath might be bitter. Use a zester, a microplane grater, or the best aspect of a field grater. Usually, you’ll get about 1 tablespoon of zest from every lemon.
Juice – To get essentially the most juice out of your lemons, guarantee they’re at room temperature. In case your lemon has been refrigerated, merely microwave it for about 15 seconds earlier than juicing.
Place the lemon on the counter and, utilizing the heel of your hand, roll it whereas making use of strain. Lower the lemon in half and use a reamer or a fork to squeeze and twist, releasing the juice.
Tips on how to Make Lemon Meringue Pie
For the Crust
- Lower the chilled butter into the crust substances per the recipe beneath. Add a little bit of chilly water to kind a dough. Roll out the crust, match right into a pie plate
- Bake till mild golden brown. Let cool.
For the Filling
- Whisk the lemon curd substances (per the recipe beneath) in a saucepan over medium warmth till thickened. Take away from warmth and stir in butter.
- Pour lemon filling into the baked pie crust.
For the Meringue Topping
- Prepare dinner cornstarch and water over medium warmth till thick. Beat egg whites and sugar till shiny stiff peaks kind.
- Stir within the cornstarch combination and prime the pie.
Bake the Pie
- Bake till the peaks on the meringue are mild golden brown.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack earlier than chilling utterly within the fridge.
Ideas for Excellent Lemon Meringue Pie
- Deal with the pie crust as little as attainable to stop the warmth out of your arms from melting the butter and chill the dough earlier than rolling it out. Poke the underside of the crust with a fork to maintain it from effervescent up.
- When blind baking the crust, add a bit of parchment paper and fill it with dry beans or pie weights.
- Use clear (oil-free) and dry beaters and a bowl when making meringue. Any quantity of oil or egg yolk will hold the egg whites from getting fluffy.
- Superfine sugar will dissolve sooner in each the lemon filling and meringue.
- Make sure the meringue touches the perimeters of the crust the entire manner round or it might draw back from the crust.
- If utilizing pre-made lemon pie filling, warmth it within the microwave earlier than pouring it into the pie shell. The filling have to be sizzling when the meringue is unfold excessive.
Storing Lemon Meringue Pie
Preserve leftover lemon meringue pie within the fridge for as much as 2 days coated evenly in plastic wrap.
The pie crust might be baked as much as a day early so it’s cooled sufficient for the filling. Double up on this pie crust recipe and hold it within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
Lemon meringue pie might be frozen (technically, ANY pie might be frozen), however as a result of corn starch within the filling and the character of the meringue, it is not going to thaw nicely so it’s not beneficial.
Did your loved ones love this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe? Depart us a remark and a score beneath!
Lemon Meringue Pie
This Lemon Meringue Pie recipe is cool, creamy, and tangy with an ideal cloud of toasted meringue on prime!
For the Crust
In a medium bowl, stir collectively the flour, sugar, and salt. Use a pastry cutter or fork to chop in chilled butter till it reaches pea-sized chunks.
Progressively add in chilly water, stirring every time till the dough might be pressed collectively. Type it right into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, or freeze for half-hour till chilled.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Calmly flour the floor and use a rolling pin to roll a 12-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry.
Gently press into the pie plate and over the edges. Trim the perimeters and crimp as desired. Poke the underside and the edges with the tines of a fork throughout to assist forestall puffing (or line pie crust with parchment and use pie weights you probably have them).
Bake for 12-Quarter-hour or till the pie crust is baked via and lightweight golden brown. Put aside whilst you make the filling.
For the Filling
In a medium saucepan, whisk collectively the sugar, water, corn starch, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Prepare dinner over medium to medium-high warmth, whisking consistently till the combination involves a boil and thickens. Will probably be barely thicker than pudding. This will take 10-Quarter-hour, however do not rush it. As soon as thickened, take away from warmth and stir in butter.
Pour sizzling filling into the pie crust, put aside and put together the meringue.
For the Meringue
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a small saucepan, whisk collectively the water and corn starch. Prepare dinner over medium warmth till thickened and clear. Put aside however hold heat.
Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or a clear bowl with clear beaters, beat egg whites, vanilla and salt till mushy peaks kind.
Progressively add within the sugar, beating till stiff shiny peaks kind.
Progressively add within the heat corn starch combination, beating consistently, till utterly included and meringue is mild and fluffy and holds stiff peaks.
Unfold meringue onto sizzling pie filling (it is necessary that the filling continues to be sizzling!) and unfold proper to the sting of the pie crust. The meringue should contact the perimeters all the way in which round.
Bake at 375°F for 5-8 minutes or simply till the tops of the meringue are mild golden brown — do not overbake.
Let relaxation on the counter on a wire rack for 1-2 hours, then refrigerate for 5-6 hours till chilled, or in a single day.
Slice and serve.
If utilizing contemporary lemons for juice; medium-sized lemons yield about 4 tablespoons of juice to equal ¼ cup (and 1 tablespoon of zest). When unsure, get additional! The zest provides a lot of lemon taste so don’t skip this half!
Energy: 467 | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 16g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Ldl cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 63mg | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 570IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1.2mg
Vitamin data offered is an estimate and can fluctuate primarily based on cooking strategies and types of substances used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Lemon Meringue Pie is greatest loved shortly after making ready, however it does must be refrigerated to set. I wish to make this pie the day earlier than, then chill in a single day uncovered. It slices simply however continues to be contemporary. Leftovers might be saved on the counter for a few hours, however will in the end must be refrigerated. Your pastry might not be fairly as flaky the following day, however it should nonetheless be scrumptious!
Should you’re in a pinch, you should utilize a store-bought lemon filling or perhaps a store-bought refrigerated pie crust to save lots of your self a while. The necessary factor is that your filling is sizzling when your meringue goes on, which prevents weeping.
This pie might be served both at room temperature or chilled.