This cozy hen pot pie recipe is the final word consolation meals.
A flaky crust is crammed with a fast and creamy hen and vegetable filling after which baked till golden brown and bubbly.
A Household Favourite Recipe
This hen pot pie recipe is so good that my Mother requests it as her present for particular events!
- Simple to make: Making pot pie from scratch takes time however it’s straightforward to make.
- Use leftovers: Use diced or shredded chicken and even leftover hen or roasted greens.
- Brief minimize crust: Pie pastry could be constructed from scratch or use packaged pie dough to make it sooner.
- Freezer pleasant: Rooster pot pie could be made forward of time and baked earlier than serving or frozen both earlier than or after baking.
Components for Rooster Pot Pie
Greens – I exploit contemporary veggies like carrots, celery, and onion however you’ll be able to skip the chopping and stir in 2 cups of frozen combined greens along with the frozen peas. If in case you have leftover cooked/roasted greens, they are often added to this recipe.
Cream Sauce – The sauce for this recipe is made with half and half and chicken broth and thickened with all-purpose flour. Poultry seasoning provides taste, you’ll be able to stir in extra seasonings like garlic powder or add contemporary herbs.
Pastry: Make a flaky homemade pastry from scratch, or hold it fast with prepackaged pie crust dough.
Easy methods to Make Rooster Pot Pie
- Put together the dough: If making home made pie dough, put together the dough. Line a deep dish pie plate and refrigerate.
- Put together the filling: Cook dinner the greens and seasonings in butter (per the recipe under). Stir in flour. Stir in cream and broth and as soon as thickened add the hen, potatoes, and peas.
- Assemble Pie: Switch the hen pot pie filling into the ready crust. Add the highest crust and seal.
- Bake: Bake till the crust is golden brown.
Holly’s Suggestions for Excellent Pot Pie
- For a shiny, golden floor, brush the dough with an egg wash earlier than baking.
- Roll the highest crust and seal the perimeters by folding the surplus dough underneath. Reduce small slits within the prime to permit steam to flee.
- Place foil across the fringe of the pie to stop the crust from overcooking or burning.
- Permit sufficient time for the pie to chill so it thickens up a bit earlier than serving.
Reheating and Freezing
Make forward: This recipe could be made forward of time. Put together the filling and refrigerate for as much as 2 days. Fill pastry-lined pans and bake as directed, permitting additional time if the filling is chilled.
Freezing: This straightforward hen pot pie is a good freezer meal and could be assembled and frozen. Thaw within the fridge after which bake as directed including about 10 to fifteen minutes to the cooking time. Evenly cowl the crust with foil if it browns earlier than the filling is heated by means of.
Reheating: Rooster pot pie could be reheated within the oven or microwave, though the crust will soften within the microwave and gained’t be flaky and crisp. Pot pie will also be warmed within the oven at 350°F till heated by means of.
Did you make this Rooster Pot Pie Recipe? Depart us a remark and a ranking under!
Do-it-yourself Rooster Pot Pie
Traditional Rooster Pot Pie is loaded with hen and greens in a creamy sauce, topped with a flaky crust, and baked till golden!
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a small saucepan, add diced potatoes and canopy with water. Convey to a mild boil over medium-high warmth and prepare dinner coated till potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain effectively.
In a separate saucepan, soften butter over medium warmth. Add onion, garlic, poultry seasoning, and thyme. Cook dinner till softened, about 3-4 minutes.
Add carrots and celery and prepare dinner till tender, about 5-6 minutes extra. Stir in corn. Sprinkle flour over the greens and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
Step by step add the hen broth and half and half, whisking till easy after every addition to stop lumps. As soon as all the liquid is added deliver to a boil and let boil whereas stirring for 1 minute.
Stir within the drained potatoes, hen, and peas and prepare dinner for 1 minute extra. Stir in parsley. Style and season with salt and pepper.
Roll out the pastry crust and place it in a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
Pour the filling into the crust. Roll out the second pastry crust and place it on prime of the filling. Crimp the perimeters to seal.
Whisk egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water and brush it over the pie crust. (Non-obligatory: Sprinkle with contemporary herbs and/or a pinch of kosher salt if desired). Use a small knife to chop just a few slits into the crust to permit steam to flee.
Bake 35-40 minutes. Cowl the perimeters of the crust with foil over the past Quarter-hour if wanted to keep away from over-browning.
Let the pie relaxation 10-Quarter-hour earlier than slicing to thicken.
Permit the pie to chill so it could arrange a bit and isn’t runny.
Brushing pastry with egg makes it shiny and golden.
To Make Particular person Pot Pies with Puff Pastry
- Improve liquid (broth/cream) by ¼ cup.
- Divide combination over 6 oven-safe bowls.
- Reduce a sheet of puff pastry into squares massive sufficient to overhang about 1″ on every dish.
- Reduce 4 slits in each bit to permit steam to flee. Drape puff pastry over bowls. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon cream and brush over pastry.
- Bake 25 minutes or till golden. Relaxation 5-10 minutes earlier than serving, filling shall be highly regarded.
Energy: 470 | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 27g | Fats: 27g | Saturated Fats: 13g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 451mg | Potassium: 432mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2781IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg
Vitamin data offered is an estimate and can fluctuate primarily based on cooking strategies and types of elements used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.